Sunday, December 9, 2007

Driving

In Oregon we are allowed to have studded tires for something like 5 months out of the year. First off, I think it is stupid. They should only be legal in certain parts of the state, and if you drive outside of that part you get a ticket. Otherwise, just carry chains. Yeah it is inconvenient but it is better than crappy roads all over the state that NEVER gets snow. Portland averages 2 inches of snow a year. So clearly it makes sense to ruin the roads for all that snow!!!

Anyway, those studded tires create large grooves in the road. I have always had smallerish cars, so I've always driven outside of the grooves when possible. It is a quieter ride and safer when it is raining.

So the question is....do you drive inside or outside of the grooves?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh- most definitely outside the grooves. So much safer, even with a bigger car, and never put snow tires on. I'm right there with ya on that. We never get enough snow.
-Melanie Sainz

Ross Gale said...

Outside the grooves fursho. But it's pretty sweet to go in the grooves when it's raining and hydroplane.

chad said...

I thought studded tires were primarily for ice, not snow... Anyway, I am currently watching Drew Brees rip my season out from under me.